From: Dan Johansson <dan@×××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] g-cpan equivalent for python
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 10:21:57
1 On 22.11.19 23:41, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 11/22/19 4:10 PM, Dan Johansson wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The recommended way to install it is using pip which will then install
5 >> everything including dependencies (which could lead to conflicts with
6 >> software installed using emerge (I guess)).
7 >> I would rather use some "mechanism" to avoid this and use portage for
8 >> dependencies - like g-cpan for perl.
11 > You'll have to write the ebuild yourself, there is no g-cpan equivalent
12 > for python packages. The good news is that this program looks fairly
13 > simple, and it already has a setup.py and a list of requirements in
14 > requirements.txt.
15 >
16 > You should be able to copy an existing python ebuild (there are
17 > thousands) and modify it slightly to work. You can ask for help on IRC
18 > if you get stuck. Welcome to Gentoo development =)
19
20 OK, thanks for the feedback.
21 I will look into creating a ebuild for this (not my first ebuild, but
22 the first that has anything to do with python).
23 But, I will first try to build it in a "protected" environment like
24 Ralph suggested just to see if it works at all (would not be the first
25 time some software does not work is I would like it to).
26
27 Regards,
28 --
29 Dan Johansson
31 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!