From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] layman: cannot properly execute...
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 11:23:43
1 On Sat, 6 May 2017 14:28:51 -0400 John Blinka wrote:
2 > Hi, all,
3 >
4 > For some time I've been getting messages like:
5 >
6 > cannot properly execute
7 > /var/lib/layman/science/virtual/lapack/lapack-3.6-r100.ebuild
8 >
9 > for *every* package in the science overlay. This happened on 2 of 3
10 > very similar gentoo
11 > systems I maintain, but not the third. As far as I could tell, the
12 > permissions and
13 > ownership of all /etc/portage and /usr/portage and /var/lib/layman
14 > files and directories
15 > are identical. All the machines have the same /etc/passwd and /etc/group files,
16 > the same /var/lib/portage/world files, and so on. I've gone to some
17 > effort to make these
18 > machines as identical as possible. I have done layman -d science then layman -a
19 > science to see if wiping out the overlay then reinstalling it would
20 > help, but that makes no
21 > difference.
22 >
23 > Googling the error produces just a few hits that recommend permissions
24 > and ownerships
25 > that helped solve this problem for others, but don't help me.
26 >
27 > It appears that this error message comes from /usr/bin/eix. I've
28 > looked through the
29 > source code a bit, but it's been long enough since I've messed with C
30 > that this didn't
31 > yield any answers.
32 >
33 > strace indicates that eix does an lstat on every element of
34 > /var/lib/layman/science/virtual/lapack/lapack-3.6-r100.ebuild before
35 > deciding to print the
36 > error message. It also indicates that eix does a setuid and setgid to
37 > portage:portage
38 > early in its execution. As far as I can tell, portage:portage ought
39 > to be able to both read
40 > and execute this ebuild (and all the other ones eix complains about).
41 >
42 > And now, out of the blue apparently, the third system has started
43 > spitting out this error
44 > message as well.
45 >
46 > Any ideas on how to debug this?
47
48 First of all, update all affected parties to the latest versions
49 (eix, portage, layman).
50
51 Second, use divide and conqueror strategy. If this is the eix
52 problem, isolate it to eix only without invoking layman (or emaint
53 sync -a or what on the earth you were doing?!).
54
55 Try with eix-update. If problem persists, look for what eix cache
56 method you are using: see man eix for the list, there are many of
57 them. Since you have exec error, it likely is ebuild, try to change
58 it to parse or metadata.
59
60 Best regards,
61 Andrew Savchenko