From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for saving power needed...
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 12:11:58
1 On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Apr 2, 2012 5:00 PM, "Robert David" <robert.david.public@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> maybe write your hw configuration first. Eg: CPUs, graphic cards, HDDs
9 >> (size, speed, type) and others.
10 >>
11 >> Also provide lspci output and /proc/cpuinfo.
12 >>
13 >> Then this is a server, maybe with more than one GB nic. If you dont use
14 >> spare nics disable them in bios. Do the same with other unneeded stuff.
15 >>
16 >> If you can access your server and replace cards, remove everything you
17 >> dont need. Do not lower fans or dont play with cpu voltage. If you want
18 >> to run this server 24/7 it can cause serious problems. It will not save
19 >> you much power. Paradoxly this could lead to higher power usage in
20 >> some cases, because of hotter devices.
21 >>
22 >> Remove spare memory cards, if you dont need much memory, etc.
23 >>
24 >> Robert.
25 >>
26 >> V Sun, 01 Apr 2012 17:04:58 +0200
27 >> Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> napsáno:
28 >>
29 >> > Hi,
30 >> >
31 >> > admin of a colo-center keeps complaining my server is going
32 >> > a little over power-limit (which they have set as ~120W per
33 >> > 24h/avg, while my server needs ~130-135W). So I need to find
34 >> > a way to save at least those 15W, or I will be moved to
35 >> > higher tarif (which means higher costs for server-housing).
36 >> >
37 >> > Before going hard(ware) way, I would like to try first
38 >> > all possible software solutions. What I tried up to now is
39 >> > cpufreqd, CONFIG_NO_HZ=y, and spindown. In addition to that
40 >> > I adjusted fan-speeds to a little lower values and turned
41 >> > off some unneeded peripherials (in bios).
42 >> >
43 >> > Is there anything else I could do? Any tips would be greatly
44 >> > welcomed...
45 >> >
46 >> > Jarry
47 >> >
51 > I'd rather have *more* RAM than causing unnecessary swaps.
52 >
53 > Try using a smaller swapfile to reduce swap tendencies. You can always push
54 > a larger swapfile into service when needed.
55 >
56 > There's also a kernel knob to set 'swappiness', but I forget what exactly.
57 > Try 'sysctl -a | grep swap'
58
59 Swappiness is the knob you want to set if you want to reduce
60 swappiness. I set mine to 0; swap only when absolutely necessary.
61
62 In /etc/sysctl.conf:
63 vm.swappiness = 0
64