From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Annoying structure of /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package-name> database
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 16:37:28
1 On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 01:12:05AM -0700, Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 > Thanks to those who responded for the suggestions.
3 >
4 > I didn't think I sent this same message a second time. If I did, it was accidental.
5 >
6 > Using equery and other portage commands may be better than looking directly at /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package-name>, sort of like the new pkgng in FreeBSD which is taking over from the older format.
9 > I come from a Linux distribution (Slackware) whose package management knows nothing about dependencies.
10
11 In reality Slackware does know about dependencies, it's just handled
12 differently that Gentoo's portage. In essence, the writer of the SlackBuild
13 sript is supposed to handle dependencies in that script.
14
15 Former Slacker 2003-2011
16 --
17 Happy Penguin Computers >')
18 126 Fenco Drive ( \
19 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
21 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
22 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
23
24 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
25 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
26 A: Top-posting.
27 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
28
29 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting