From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which machine to buy for perfect gentoo machine?!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:54:29
1 130413 Tamer Higazi wrote:
2 > I am after 7 years buying myself a new developer machine
3 > well for a long time again. With intel I never had problems,
4 > all their systems were REALLY stable
5 > and they were really worth their money up to the last cent.
6 > There are 3 choices:
7 > Intel Xeon E5-2650
8 > Core i7 3979 extreme edition
9 > AMD FX.8350 CPU
10
11 When I bought the parts for a new machine in August 2012,
12 AMD CPUs were clearly better value for my CAD than Intel.
13 I bought an AMD Bulldozer X4 FX-4170 4-Core 4,2 GHz 8 MB for CAD 130
14 from Canada Computers, which does mail orders IIRC :
15 it was the fastest processor around & I was suspicious
16 that most software doesn't make full use of larger numbers of cores.
17
18 What has speeded my work up enormously is getting an SSD for storage
19 with an HDD for back-up & stuff I don't use everyday.
20 Mine is an OCZ Vertex4 128 GB SATA3 R 560 MB/s W 430 MB/s for CAD 115 .
21
22 HTH
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca