From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what to use for a pppoe client?
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 07:58:06
1 On Sunday, April 05, 2015 05:29:58 PM lee wrote:
2 > Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> writes:
3 > > Am 04.04.2015 um 14:32 schrieb lee:
4 > >> Which package would you recommend? There seem to be at least two I
5 > >> could use:
6 > >>
7 > >>
8 > >> net-dialup/ppp
9 > >> net-dialup/rp-pppoe
10 > >
11 > > I used rp-pppoe. I found it easier to configure. ppp is installed as a
12 > > dependency anyway.
13 >
14 > So there isn't really a choice and rp-pppoe is some kind of additional
15 > thing? What are its advantages?
16 >
17 > >> I'd like to see some connection statistics, i. e. the connection should
18 > >> be active 24/7, and I want to know when it's interrupted and
19 > >> re-established, preferably with good error reporting. It would suffice
20 > >> when I get an email telling me that the connection is down/up.
21 > >
22 > > If your ISP doesn't disconnect you the connection usually stays active
23 > > as long as you want resp. the computer is running.
24 >
25 > That's the idea, and in practise, the connection is interrupted rather
26 > frequently. I'm pretty sure the router sucks and contributes to the
27 > problem. If it's not only the router, that's just another thing they
28 > need to fix.
29
30 Do the connection issues correspond with the phone being used?
31 One of the most common mistakes with ADSL connections is either broken
32 splitters or not enough.
33 You need to put an ADSL/Phone splitter to ensure all phones are connected to
34 the phone side and the modem to the ADSL side.
37 Joost