From: Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] how thorough is #emerge --sync?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:39:43
1 Quoth the Devon Miller
2 > You both seem to be arguing about what constitutes stable. And there are 2
3 > different definitions: stable as defined by the upstream source and stable
4 > as defined in portage.
5
6 Wrong. I am perfectly aware of what "stable" and "unstable" means to portage.
7 I _was_ arguing a point based on Alexander's question which I felt was
8 ambiguous. Apparently I am the only one who thought it was ambiguous, ha ha,
9 stupid me.
10
11 The entire rest of that sub-thread was me and Alexander arguing faulty
12 premises based on this initial misunderstanding, and it would best be
13 ignored by everyone.
14
15 <snip>
16
17 > Now, Darren has added a bug for 0.9.3 and a month later, it's still waiting
18 > to get added to portage.
19 > His issue is 0.9.1 and 0.9.2 should have been stable by now.
20
21 That is an issue, but not one I am losing sleep over, and not one that I am
22 arguing in this thread...
23
24 If everyone folowing this thread from the sidelines could just read my first
25 response to the OP: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/172487
26
27 You can see here I explained to the OP that the newer version was not stable,
28 but he could access it using "~x86" keyword. I went on to explain that if he
29 wanted the latest upstream version he could use an overlay.
30
31 Mark my words: I _do not_ think the upstream stable version should,
32 automatically or otherwise, be portage's stable version. I never said any
33 such thing in any mail to this thread.
34
35 <snip>
36
37 > I would suggest Darren look through the develoiper list (
38 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/userinfo.xml) for developers
39 > handling media-sound. Add them to the cc list on the 0.9.2 ebuild and add a
40 > comment asking that it be marked stable. And ask for the 0.9.3 to be added
41 > as ~x86
42
43 I will try this. Thank you.
44
45 > dcm
46
47 -d
48 --
49 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
50 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
51 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list