From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Cell phone as modem
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:51:12
1 > > I got this from a page about bringing a cell phone to Costa
2 > > Rica: "If you bring it, remember that you will have to see if
3 > > it is on the ICE list of approved phones, then you will need
4 > > to pay someone to convert it, then you will have no warranty
5 > > in either country. Why bother"
6 > >
7 > > I guess certain phones only work in certain countries?
8 >
9 > Sort of. Not everybody outside the US uses GSM. Japan and
10 > Korea don't. In Australia there are GSM carriers, but coverage
11 > is better using their older CDMA networks.
12 >
13 > > I thought a GSM phone with a local SIM card would work
14 > > anywhere there is a GSM network.
15 >
16 > That'll work for Europe and parts of Asia.
17 >
18 > > Actually, wikitravel.org says: "Prepaid Sim cards are not
19 > > available in Costa Rica."
20 > >
21 > > I was looking for a relatively easy way to get online in most
22 > > places around the world, but maybe GSM isn't it.
23 >
24 > GSM is as close as you're going to get unless you want to hunt
25 > for WiFi access.
26 >
27 > > I swore off WIFI hunting after visiting the Greek island of
28 > > Corfu, and from jiwire.com it looks like there is still
29 > > nothing there. Check this out though:
30 > >
31 > > http://www.geofone.net/bgan-sale.htm
32 >
33 > Yieks, those things are $3K.
34
35 No need to buy though.
36
37 > > These are lightweight, plenty fast, USB, Bluetooth, ethernet,
38 > > and the page even mentions Linux. $20/day and $7.95/MB
39 > > doesn't sound so bad.
40 >
41 > Sounds bad to me. I guess I'm cheap.
42
43 I'm working on this. I'll have to set up a comparison between GSM
44 phone rental and satellite system rental. Lots to consider with data,
45 international voice calls, speed, convenience, and cost.
46
47 What would you use to measure how much data you're downloading and
48 uploading to/from the internet?
49
50 - Grant
51 --