From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:22:57
1 On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 19.07.2013 21:02, schrieb Paul Hartman:
3 >
4 >> Old SSDs that did not support TRIM would suffer write amplification
5 >> after a certain amount of data had been written to them, but any
6 >> modern SSD and modern OS will keep it nice and tidy.
7 >
8 > What's the "best practice" now for TRIM?
9 >
10 > I changed to manual "fstrim -v /" back then as they wrote that the
11 > fstab-options weren't the right way of doing it.
12 >
13 > Any news on this?
14 >
15 > I have root-fs on ext4, btw ...
16
17 I think it depends on your usage patterns. "discard" will trim unused
18 space immediately as files are deleted. Putting fstrim in your cron
19 jobs will wait to free all unused space at once.
20
21 If you delete many files, or large files, you may notice performance
22 slowdowns by using discard. On the other hand, if your SSD is near
23 full you may benefit from discard to allow faster write speed before
24 the cron job runs.
25
26 As far as I remember, some filesystems don't support "discard" option,
27 but do support fstrim. So fstrim job may be "safer" as generic
28 advice... and it was older advice, before "discard" existed, so old
29 SSD guides may refer to it by default.
30
31 I personally use "discard" with ext4 and btrfs, but I have not done
32 tests or have evidence that it is the best choice for me. It's simply
33 what I chose and never changed it. :)