From: Rick van Hattem <Rick.van.Hattem@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] weird 4GB RAM and kernel issue
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:40:57
1 On Sunday 02 April 2006 02:04, kashani wrote:
2 > I've made my problem go away, but I'm a bit curious about why it was
3 > happening.
4 >
5 > I've got nine or so Dell 1850's with 2 x 2GB chips. When I compile
6 > gentoo-source 2.6.15-r1 (and 2.6.14-r5) with support for 4GB I see only
7 > 3GB. 1GB lowmem and 2GB highmem.
8 >
9 > ws04 ~ # cat /proc/meminfo
10 > MemTotal: 3107408 kB
11 > MemFree: 1731660 kB
12 > Buffers: 219720 kB
13 > Cached: 937980 kB
14 > SwapCached: 0 kB
15 > Active: 455100 kB
16 > Inactive: 717924 kB
17 > HighTotal: 2227968 kB
18 > HighFree: 1271588 kB
19 >
20 > When I recompile on the same hardware with support for 64GB RAM I see
21 > the full 4GB in the usual 1GB/3GB split.
22 >
23 > nms02 ~ # cat /proc/meminfo
24 > MemTotal: 4147776 kB
25 > MemFree: 3762712 kB
26 > Buffers: 151404 kB
27 > Cached: 45116 kB
28 > SwapCached: 0 kB
29 > Active: 56724 kB
30 > Inactive: 145000 kB
31 > HighTotal: 3276544 kB
32 > HighFree: 3222936 kB
33 >
34 > However on my HP DL360 with 4 x 1GB RAM I see the 4GB, though it's a bit
35 > smaller, with 4GB enabled in the kernel. Same kernel version as the Dell's.
36 >
37 > ramin@azul ~ $ cat /proc/meminfo
38 > MemTotal: 3977744 kB
39 > MemFree: 116792 kB
40 > Buffers: 296108 kB
41 > Cached: 3157952 kB
42 > SwapCached: 0 kB
43 > Active: 2725152 kB
44 > Inactive: 782956 kB
45 > HighTotal: 3096552 kB
46 > HighFree: 8680 kB
47 >
48 > I've been Googling around for an explantion, but am not really sure what
49 > I'm looking for. I'd assume that I might lose a few hundred MB if the 2
50 > x 2GB chips are slightly bigger than the 4GB limit rather than the full
51 > 1GB that seems to disappear. I'm guessing some wacky motherboard
52 > interleaving thing where highmem ends up being one chip and the lowmem
53 > the 896MB on the other chip.
54 >
55 > Anyone have a decent theory on this with a nice link?
56 >
57 > kashani
58 Enabling 4GB support instead of 1 will allow < 4GB of ram, _not_ <=4GB.
59 To be sure you can use all of it you have to select 64GB at the kernel.
60
61 The reason it does work for your DL360 is because the bios works around the
62 problem for you.
65 Rick van Hattem Rick.van.Hattem(at)Fawo.nl