From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] multiple /lib64/modules directories
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 01:57:22
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > This is basic Linux stuff.
4 >
5 > There is a /lib/modules/xxxx for each installed kernel binary.
6 > Portage will never remove them as portage did not install them, they are
7 > installed by the "make modules_install" target of the kernel build process,
8 > which you always run manually outside of portage's control.
9 >
10 > The vbox modules are also in those directories under misc/ but this comes with
11 > a quirk. They are usually built by remerging virtualbox-modules or running
12 > module-rebuild. Unlike most other ebuilds, these do not delete everything from
13 > the last emerge and replace all files (you will still need all installed
14 > modules for any installed kernels you still have). So, portage simply does not
15 > remove things from /lib/modules/
16 >
17 > In other words, what you have is exactly what you should have and things as
18 > working as designed. To remove anything in /lib/modules, you must manually rm
19 > them yourself.
20 >
21 > Incidentally, the same goes for the various kernel files in /boot/.
27 So, if I delete a bzImage from /boot that came from kernel version
28 2.6.32-1 and no longer plan to use it, I could also remove the modules
29 from /lib/modules/2.32-1 as well? That could come in handy to know if
30 someone has a small drive and has to watch their drive space.
31
32 root@smoker / # du -shc /lib/modules/2.6.30-gentoo-r8/
33 7.6M /lib/modules/2.6.30-gentoo-r8/
34 7.6M total