From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Q on portage's rational to re-emerge packages
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:13:51
1 Am 28.09.2013 00:22, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2
3 > This only works right if the ebuild maintainer is on the ball, watches
4 > Changelogs for the DEPENDS packages and put the proper metadata in the
5 > ebuild. You can imagine how this can work out very very well when done
6 > right, and if the maintainer makes a mistake (or doesn't clearly
7 > understand how it works) it can cause many unneccessary rebuilds (but
8 > not actually *break* stuff). Huge packages like LO with many
9 > interconnected DEPENDS are always going to be the usual victim I'm afraid...
10 >
11 > And then there's things that use poppler, boost, PyQT and pykde4 - a
12 > similar effect is at work.
13 >
14 > End result = your cpus will be kept nice and toasty warm doing lots of
15 > compiles but actual breakage of the sort that led to revdep-rebuild
16 > being developed should reduce dramatically. Some unneccessary rebuilds
17 > are the price we pay for not having breakage.
18 >
19 > In Helmut's specific case here, the cause seems to be python-exec. I
20 > missed that one myself somehow so had no idea it was hanging around
21 > biting folks.
24 For the last few days my desktop machine always wants to rebuild tons of
25 stuff like LibreOffice and PyQt4 etc ...
26
27 And it doesn't get to an end ... right now I say "emerge -1 gcc" and it
28 starts to emerge 13 packages ... with LO rebuilt several times afaik.
29
30 What to do about this situation?
31
32 Thanks, Stefan