From: Wes Gray <smiths@×××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] help
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 02:51:11
1 My 3-year old gentoo system has decided to be a big headache. My
2 troubles started when I upgraded to kde 3.4. The kde taskbar apps
3 wouldn't start. I tried unmerging kde-base and emerging kdebase-meta
4 to see if it was related to the kde split, but that didn't help. I got
5 the idea that the problem was some old kde packages, so I tried unmerging
6 everything on my system which was kde related, including some old packages
7 which are no longer in portage, then I reemerged everything. THis was
8 a big mistake as afterwards kde was even more broken, and kde apps like
9 k3b now don't even work. I've given up on kde and moved to enlightenment,
10 but it will be really hard to deal without any kde apps. Lots of people have
11 given me advice, but everything I try just seems to make things worse. It
12 seems like there is something about old versions of kde that won't go away,
13 which I don't understand at all. It seems like if you reemerge something it
14 should move to the newest versions. I really could use some help because
15 I have no idea what to do next.
16
17 -Wes
18 --