From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sorting soundcards...
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:08:55
1 On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 5:39 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > How can I urge the "soundcards" into a specific order?
3 > How can I more specific than specifying "snd-hda-intel" since
4 > this appears twice...?
5
6 Oh, I love when someone asks a question that I already had to solve
7 for myself. :)
8
9 I also have 2 intel-hda devices and 1 usb-audio. If you read the ALSA
10 documentation in the kernel, you'll find that the "index" option is
11 how you determine the card order. But, like you realized, when you
12 have more than one of the same type, how do you do that?
13
14 The answer is that you can define multiple devices in one entry,
15 separated by comma. You can also specify vendor ID/product ID so it
16 knows which piece of hardware you are talking about.
17
18 options snd-intel-hda model=intel-x58,auto enable_msi=1,0 index=0,1
19 vid=0x8086,0x10de pid=0x3a3e,0x0be4
20 options snd-usb-audio index=2
21
22 To explain the first line:
23
24 options snd-intel-hda
25 - This part is obvious.
26
27 model=intel-x58,auto
28 - For the first card, I specify the model is intel-x58. That way it
29 shows me the proper inputs and outputs. For the second card (my Nvidia
30 HDMI) I set it to auto-detect.
31
32 enable_msi=1,0
33 - I want to enable MSI for my on-board sound, but disable it for my
34 Nvidia HDMI sound.
35
36 index=0,1
37 - My first card is index 0, second is index 1. That way my on-board is
38 always first.
39
40 vid=0x8086,0x10de
41 pid=0x3a3e,0x0be4
42 - Now this is the magical part :) By using vendor and product ID, it
43 knows which exact hardware I'm talking about in the previous options.
44
45 For your case, maybe you don't care about setting the model or the
46 MSI, you can leave that out. But the real important part to solve your
47 problem is to set the index and the vid/pid.
48
49 > Thank you very much in advance for any help! :)
50
51 I hope I helped!