From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using a HD with bad sectors
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 08:46:53
1 On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:10:54 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > > The question is: should I use it at all (for any use, external HD or
4 > > internal with operating system), or is it sufficient to let the fsck
5 > > tool mark the bad sectors and just keep using it?
6 >
7 > badblocks & mkfs.
8 >
9 > Maybe.
10 >
11 > And the 'monitoring tool' would be smartmontools.
12 >
13 > But I wouldn't trust a harddisk that got damaged in a drop.
14
15 On the other hand, if it's only being used as a MythTV front end, it
16 will only contain the OS and software, no data. So a single backup would
17 suffice (MythTV stores configuration data on the backend) and the only
18 harm in the drive failing would be that you wouldn't be able to use it
19 until you bought a new one and restored the backup. It depends on how
20 long you can last without TV :)
21
22 Then again, you could dispense with the hard drive altogether and PXE
23 boot the laptop.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Politicians are like nappies
30 Both should be changed regularly, and for the same reason