From: "Spackman
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ryzen and c-state poweroffs?
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 16:29:13
1 All,
2
3 I set up a new AMD computer (moved disk from previous Intel
4 computer). After some struggles with bios settings, I got it to boot
5 properly and updated for the new hardware. All seemed fine, but then it
6 started "crashing" when left alone. From Googling, it seems that it has
7 something to do with the bios powering down drives that aren't in use,
8 but then not being able to power them back up.
9
10 When it "crashes" (goes into a coma?), I have to use the power button to
11 turn it off and then back on. As it starts up, the root partition is
12 clean, but home has to be recovered - which seems to indicate that it is
13 indeed an issue with the mobo/bios turning off the root drive.
14
15 I found a Linux site that suggested this line in dmesg as a symptom:
16
17 > [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
18
19 The solution was to turn of C-states in the bios. I forget the exact
20 wording right now, but I could not find it in my bios. I tried to turn off
21 everything that seemed related to power saving, but several did not have
22 an "off" option. So, I am still getting the error.
23
24 For now, I set up a cron job to move a file from /root to /tmp every 15
25 minutes. This seems to work, but it is obviously not a long term
26 solution.
27
28 I checked for a bios update, but there was not one available.
29
30 Has anyone else experienced this? Is there maybe a /sys/ or /proc/ file
31 I can tweak to avoid bios powering things off?
32
33 Thanks.
36 Chris Spackman chris@××××××××××.com
37
38 ESL Coordinator The Graham Family of Schools
39 ESL Instructor Columbus State Community College
40 MA TESOL Adjunct Ohio Dominican University