From: Mauro Faccenda <faccenda@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [perhaps OT] ssh from Gentoo into a RedHat server
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:35:23
1 On Thursday 31 May 2007 09:38, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > wrote:
3 > > > > Second, my id_dsa is my private key not my public key. My public
4 > > > > key is id_dsa.pub
5 > > >
6 > > > but you will need your private key to be authenticated. that's why
7 > > > it is *private*.
8 > >
9 > > That's right, so why does it:
10 > > ======================================
11 > > debug1: Trying private key: /home/michael/.ssh/id_rsa <--this doesn't
12 > > exist debug1: Offering public key: /home/michael/.ssh/id_dsa <--this is
13 > > my private key ======================================
14 >
15 > What is wrong with that? It just says it is trying to access id_rsa,
16 > not that there is one. So it fails, of course. So not existing key
17 > isn't a matter here. It's _debugging_ output, so not necessarily
18 > important information.
19 >
20 > Using the private key is absolutely normal. A test message is encrypted
21 > using it and is then being sent to the server, hence the term "offering".
22 >
23 > I don't see what you are wondering about here.
24
25 what's wrong there is that it's saying that id_dsa is a PUBLIC key. ;)
26
27 []'s
28 .m
29 --