From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Updating libpng: another libtool cockup?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 20:12:06
1 I just did a routine update on my ~amd64 machine and saw the portage
2 warning that libpng14 has been replaced by libpng15, and I should run
3 revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib/libpng14.so' and then delete the
4 obsolete library.
5
6 That's what I did. I confess I wasn't watching, so I may have missed
7 some important errors during the run.
8
9 After that I ran plain revdep-rebuild as I do after every update, and
10 saw that two gnome packages failed to rebuild properly because lpng14
11 couldn't be found :/
12
13 From painful experience I've learned that good-old libtool files (*.la)
14 are the usual suspects, and grep found -lpng14 in about ten .la files
15 even after both revdep-rebuilds. Grrr!
16
17 This fixed the problem for me (as similar moves have done in the past):
18
19 #find /usr/lib64 -name \*.la -exec sed -i s/png14/png15/ '{}' ';'
20
21 I ran revdep-rebuild again and the two broken packages emerged nicely
22 this time.
23
24 I hope no one else will hit this problem, but at least this is a good
25 workaround if you do.