From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unkillable processes
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:28:06
1 On 11/29/05, jarry@×××.net <jarry@×××.net> wrote:
2 > <OT>
3 > I do not claim that what you said is not true, but once in
4 > the past, when I was young and dumb (now I'm old and dumb)
5 > I intentionally pulled out that 80-wire data-cable from one
6 > of my 2 ata-disks during heavy i/o-loading (copying files)
7 > just to see, if my raid-1 array (hda+hdc) survives it...
8
9 Ah yes, RAID setups make this a survivable scenario. Thanks.
10
11 > But I think new s-ata (or scsi) drives support some sort
12 > of hot-plug, so even disconnecting should not lock the
13 > whole system...
14
15 I think this is only true if you don't have any filesystems mounted on
16 the disk, or at least no files in use. I've seen problems that
17 required a reboot when I accidentally shutoff a USB disk that was in
18 use.
19
20 So it's not really the whole system that locks up, just anything
21 trying to access that disk. Of course, if we are talking about the
22 one and only system disk, well, the whole system locks up.
23
24 -Richard
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list