From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] qbittorrent crashes after to many files open error
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 05:26:23
1 Howdy,
2
3 As some know, I discovered torrentting a while back.  It has caused
4 issues ever since.  LOL  I recently upgraded qbittorrent.  Other than
5 having to limit some speed settings since it would make my desktop
6 response slow, it has worked OK, better than ktorrent at least.  Then a
7 couple days ago, perhaps related to a upgrade, it would crash.  In the
8 notifications I would find a error like below.  I have changed the names
9 to protect the innocent.  ;-)
10
11 An I/O error occurred for torrent 'ABCDEF'.
12 Reason: ABCDEF file_open (/home/dale/Desktop/Videos/ABCDEF error: Too
13 many open files
16 I did a google search and found out more info which lead me to this
17 eventually:
20 https://www.tecmint.com/increase-set-open-file-limits-in-linux/
21
22 Then this:
23
24 root@fireball / # sysctl fs.file-max
25 fs.file-max = 3289952
26 root@fireball / # sysctl -w fs.file-max=32899520
27 fs.file-max = 32899520
28 root@fireball / # cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
29 32899520
32 So, I increased the limit on open files by a factor of ten, I added a
33 zero on the end.  It was easy enough and didn't require a calculator or
34 other fancy maths.  Question is, is this a better fix or could it just
35 be qbittorrent itself having issues?  Could there be more to this or
36 something else causing this error?
37
38 I was using qbittorrent-4.4.5 but downgraded to qbittorrent-4.4.4.  I'm
39 hoping one or the other will fix this crashing issue.  It did only start
40 after the upgrade but could be a coincidence to I guess.
43 By the way, the 10TB drive I bought a couple weeks or so ago, well, this
44 is it now.
45
46 /dev/mapper/10tb           9.1T  8.7T  345G  97% /mnt/10tb
49 The 14TB is supposed to be here this weekend.  I have really got to
50 create a solution to this.  My current plan, make the 14TB my backup
51 drive.  Put the 10TB in my rig, for now.  It's getting full too.  ROFL
52 I could cut off the internet I guess.  ROFLMBO
55 Thoughts on the files open error?  Qbittorrent crashing?  Anyone else
56 ran into this before?  Proper solution?  Better solution?
59 Dale
60