From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet card for puter
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 12:50:02
1 On 07/11/2021 09:47, Dale wrote:
2 > I learned my lesson on SMR a while back.  I googled and made sure it was
3 > a CMR drive before I ordered it.  I had to pass by some SMRs to find a
4 > good deal that was CMR tho.  I don't plan to move data just add the
5 > drive as extra space.  Adding it to LVM should be easy enough.  Sort of
6 > thought about switching to BTFRS (sp?) but just not sure.  LVM is
7 > working well for me at the moment.
8
9 You know I push the raid wiki :-) Even if you're not into raid there's
10 some good stuff there. I'm very ambivalent on btrfs. It has a lot of
11 good features, but it's a trade-off. Do you want a jack-of-all-trades
12 filesystem, or do you want separate layers doing separate things. My
13 feeling is separate layers.
14
15 I've got my hard drives, then dm-integrity (so corruption triggers a
16 read-failure), then mirror-raid, then lvm, and finally ext4.
17
18 I'm trying to get snapshotting to fire automatically on boot once a
19 week, so when I emerge, I can always roll back easily :-) I'm not sure
20 whether systemd will do it, but if I have a once-a-week timer which
21 activates a fire-once-on-boot service, then that'll be perfect. The
22 timer fires on Friday, the snapshot fires when I reboot Saturday morning
23 ... and then I try not to break my system with a messed-up emerge :-)
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol