From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Question about difference between emerge --update world and emerge vigra
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:15:08
1 On Thursday 25 September 2008 17:51:58 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > > Do you have any further advice, more detail or some more formalized
3 > > methodology to 'clean' the world file, in addition to what you have
4 > > stated above?
5 >
6 > Every entry in the world file that has a reverse dependency could be
7 > removed. Unfortunately there is no tool I know which can calculate
8 > reverse dependencies correctly. Maybe there is some functionality in
9 > pkgcore or paludis which I am not aware of. So others need to inform
10 > us about this.
11
12 The loooooong way round is to run 'emerge -pvte world' and look for things
13 listed that are both highlighted in green and indented. Such packages could
14 in theory be removed from world as they must be a dep of something.
15
16 Intelligence must also be applied of course - somethings are deps and you DO
17 want them in world
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com