From: Remy Blank <remy.blank_asps@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: NIC setup? slow transfer speed
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:11:22
1 Stuart Howard wrote:
2 > OK well I give up
3
4 I did, too...
5
6 > Transfer 39Mb file from
7 > gentoo -> XP share using winXP copy trans time >=5 mins [gentoo smb
8 > directory to XP share dir ie. XP shared dir Not mounted]
9
10 I have a similar situation here, but with an additional interesting
11 observation. If I copy a file from WinXP to an SMB share on a Gentoo
12 server with the XP explorer, I get about 2MB/s throughput, which is not
13 all too much on a 100Mb/s network. However, if I run the following
14 command in the background (eth0 being the interface over which I copy):
15
16 tcpdump -n -i eth0 >/dev/null
17
18 the throughput increases to about 8-10MB/s!
19
20 I have no idea where this could come from. The only explanation I can
21 see is that tcpdump puts eth0 into a sort of promiscuous mode, which
22 interacts favorably in the SMB protocol. But I haven't been able to
23 figure out how I should tune eth0 to get the same results without tcpdump.
24
25 -- Remy
28 Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list