From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] jabberd2 + muc
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:53:26
1 On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Matt Harrison
2 <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi list,
4 >
5 > I know this isn't really in the remit of the list but I'm hoping there
6 > is an expert lurking here somewhere. Does anyone have experience setting
7 > up Jabber, especially with mu-conference?
8 >
9 > I'm trying to set it up for some colleagues but I'm running into a lack
10 > of documentation, overly complicated configurations and a seemingly dead
11 > project with mu-conference.
12 >
13 > The packages are still alive and well in portage, yet the site and
14 > mailing list haven't been touched for some years.
15 >
16 > Does anyone know of an alternative text chat system with multi-user room
17 > facilities? It needs to be separate from mainstream networks such as MSN
18 > etc, have good ACL capabilities and must support SSL.
19 >
20 > Not really sure what to look at next, and after about 6 hours of
21 > fighting with jabberd2 and muc, I'm about ready to give up with it.
22
23 Of all the XMPP daemons, ejabberd has the best reputation. jabberd14,
24 according to recent traffic on the -dev list, may be on its way out
25 due to lack of a maintainer, so I wouldn't invest time into setting
26 that up right now.
29 :wq