From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 07:43:36
1 On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 1:01 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On 06/01/20 19:55, Michael Jones wrote:
4 > >
5 > > As for windows 10 licensing, don't trust me on this blindly, but your
6 > > license should be tied to the hardware fingerprint of the laptop. So
7 > > even installing windows fresh on your new SSD should result in Windows
8 > > activating automatically. In fact, you might want to take this
9 > > opportunity to try that out, to get a completely fresh installation
10 > > without the decade of old cruft built up by window's lack of a package
11 > > manager.
12 >
13 > Two points with this - firstly if (like me) you DON'T have an MS
14 > account, this fingerprint is not stored anywhere so that won't work.
15 > Secondly, the fingerprint is likely stored on the hard drive somewhere
16 > so if you clone the hard drive you are hopefully good, and thirdly it's
17 > possible that the new hard drive will break the fingerprint so you're
18 > SOL whatever you do. However, in that last case, if you ring the
19 > licencing help line they MAY give you a new code because it is, still,
20 > technically the same laptop.
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Wol
26 I don't mean to continue the windows discussion on the gentoo list, but I
27 wanted to point out that this is incorrect
28
29 I don't have a microsoft account at all, and regularly reactivate Windows
30 10 Home / Pro using the hardware fingerprint method using completely clean
31 installations on factory-new harddrives with existing hardware. The
32 fingerprint is stored on Microsoft's activation servers somewhere. I don't
33 know how it works beyond that it's not required that you have a Microsoft
34 account to use it.