From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yahoo Messenger replacement
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:28:09
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Matt
2 Harrison<iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi guys,
4 >
5 > I've recently needed to communicate with some people using Yahoo Messenger.
6 > It's not ideal but i'm unable to migrate them to something more open.
7 >
8 > I've got it working fine on my windows machine at work, but unfortunately
9 > I'm unable to get it working on my gentoo laptop.
10 >
11 > I've so far tried Pidgin, which seems to hang eternally when I try to
12 > connect, and I've tried looking for alternatives such as ymessenger but it
13 > seems they have been retired from portage.
14 >
15 > Does anyone have any advice on this subject? At the moment I'm having to VNC
16 > into my desktop machine just to use messenger when I'm out and about.
17 >
18 > Thanks in advance
19 >
20 > Matt
21
22 I've used Pidgin (formerly Gaim) with Yahoo for years and it works
23 fine for me. Be sure you're using the very latest version, as Yahoo
24 (and others) change their protocol often and the pidgin team needs to
25 adapt to it. You may need to unmask it if you're not using ~arch.
26 Check www.pidgin.im to see what the latest version is.
27
28 Kopete should work, too. It even does video.