From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Prioritizing mpd
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 04:33:40
1 On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:02:00 -0700
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > When I use the medium quality libsamplerate resampler with mpd, my CPU
5 > is around 15% and all is well. When I try to use the best quality
6 > resampler, the CPU stays around 99% and the sound frequently falls
7 > apart. Can I give mpd CPU priority?
8
9 Yes, it's usually done via nice/renice commands:
10
11 renice -n -10 -p `pgrep mpd`
12
13 You can tune it's priority up to -20 (most real-time priority).
14
15 I'd suggest looking at load-average it generates ("top" shows it, at the
16 top)) first.
17 After running mpd for 15 minutes or so, if any of the three (5/10/15)
18 will go above number of physical CPU cores you have (and that's
19 probably the case if you see full load at any given time), tuning it's
20 priority up will make the rest of the system extremely sluggish, since
21 mpd won't let any other process to execute and just doing "ls" may take
22 ages, not to mention whole X operation...
25 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net