From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:59:48
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Monday 18 January 2010 18:26:21 Mike Edenfield wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>>> +1 I do OK with plain text but no clue on the new xml stuff. Why not
10 >>>>> just keep it simple? Is xml REALLY needed?
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>>
13 >>>> XML allows you to generate complex, structured, hierarchical data that
14 >>>> can be read, changed, and stored by well-tested third party libraries that
15 >>>> don't need to know anything about the contents or meaning of your
16 >>>> configuration data beforehand. This means I, as a developer, don't need to
17 >>>> write any code to read and parse configurations, validate the syntax or
18 >>>> structure (only the content), or persist it back out.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> In simpler terms: less time spent on the configuration parser, more time
21 >>>> spent being productive.
22 >>>>
23 >>>>
24 >>> Just as code is read many more times than it is written, so is a package
25 >>> configured by the end user many more times than the config parser studied by
26 >>> the developer.
27 >>>
28 >>> Your post makes sense until you realise that the use of XML in a
29 >>> configuration designed to be changed by the user renders the package
30 >>> virtually unusable. Given a choice between me as a developer struggling with
31 >>> a config parser versus vast swathes of users dumping the package because of
32 >>> the same parser, I'd say it's me that has to work harder, not my users.
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >> I'll add this, if devicekit uses xml and doesn't work "out of the box," as
37 >> in me not having to config the thing, then it is no better than hal. It may
38 >> be that if I could do xml that I could have gotten hal to work. Thing is, I
39 >> can't do xml at the time. I suspect that I am not alone on this.
40 >>
41 >> So, it is possible that hal was doomed by xml for me at least. If devicekit
42 >> uses it, then it may get masked as well. Sounds like devicekit needs to be
43 >> really good. I'm sort of hooked on a working keyboard and a mouse for some
44 >> reason. Call me silly but they sort of make the puter work.
47 > Well I think that if everything works as it is designed to you
48 > shouldn't really need to be editing those XML files in the first
49 > place. I think you're supposed to be able to do all of the relevant
50 > config settings in your desktop environment such as Gnome or KDE (if
51 > you use one). Like setting keyboard mappings, fonts, mouse config,
52 > screen resolution, etc. The usual stuff that used to go in xorg.conf.
53 >
54 > Of course, if your keyboard mapping is wrong and you can't even log-in
55 > to the DE in the first place then configuring it through there will
56 > probably be difficult... :) And if you don't use Gnome or KDE then
57 > it can get interesting, too...
61 That was my problem, no keyboard or mouse. Sort of hard to do much in
62 that situation.
63
64 Dale
65