From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix config and update
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 23:17:46
1 On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 22:12:21 +0000, Wol wrote:
2
3 > >> Postfix afaik just has one humungous config file, so when your
4 > >> distro updates the config, all your local changes are trashed :-(
5 > >>
6 > >> I don't want to faff about with special copies, backups, origs etc.
7 > >> Everything should "just work (tm)".
8 > >
9 > > Except that portage doesn't overwrite stuff under /etc by default. It
10 > > saves the new config file and then tells you there's an update so you
11 > > can use etc-update or dispatch-conf to check/merge/abort the changes.
12 > > After all the new version of software may need a change to the old
13 > > config file.
14 > >
15 > It's not portage I'm worried about, it's me!
16 >
17 > Systemd DOES NOT PUT YOUR LOCAL CONFIG IN DANGER.
18 >
19 > Dovecot DOES NOT PUT YOUR LOCAL CONFIG IN DANGER (if you do it
20 > properly).
21 >
22 > EVERY SINGLE POSTFIX UPDATE PUTS YOUR CONFIG IN DANGER.
23
24 Only if you run your chosen config manager without paying attention, but
25 Gentoo is particularly good at punishing those who do not pay attention.
26
27 > Of course, if you're Mr Perfect you won't have a problem. Why can't
28 > postfix *protect* me, like systemd or dovecot do?
29
30 Many, many programs have and option to include a local config file:
31 dnsmasq, Xorg, motion and rkhunter are the first to spring to mind right
32 now. Your problem is not with Gentoo, it does a good job of mitigating
33 the risk, it is with Postfix. Why not file a bug with them asking for an
34 "include otherfile.cf" option. Or, even better, and includedir option.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 Multitasking: Reading in the bathroom.