From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 21:47:28
1 On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 3:52 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> I had some problems setting up OpenVPN that were solved by using
3 >> per-client public keys. That seems to be the best supported
4 >> configuration (as well as the most secure). Windows-side using
5 >> OpenVPN-GUI is very easy.
6 >>
7 >> OpenVPN tends to have poor bandwidth due to overhead, but that may be
8 >> in large part due to my connection.
9 >
10 > OpenVPN is not the most efficient VPN implementation for connections to a
11 > server because it is not multithreaded and also because unlike IKE/IPSec it
12 > operates in userspace, not in kernelspace. If you have more than one client
13 > connecting to the server at the same time you will need to set up multiple
14 > instances with different ports or different protocols. With IKE/IPSec you
15 > don't. MSWindows PCs come with IKEv2 natively so they can be configured to
16 > use it without installing additional client applications.
17 >
18 > A VPN connection will expose each endpoint's LAN to the other and therefore
19 > additional firewall configurations could be required.
22 That is only in one setup. It is possible to assign an IP address to
23 OpenVPN such that you will need any traffic to cross onto your LAN.
24
25 >> >> OpenVPN also offers transparent compression which can be a big
26 >> >> plus for your scenario.
27 >> >
28 >> > Not really, a lot of data is images, usually JPEG, some ZIP files, some
29 >> > PDF. All that doesn't compress too well.
30 >> >
31 >> >> OpenVPN is not too difficult to setup, and the client is available for
32 >> >> all major OSes. And it's not too complicated to use: Open VPN
33 >> >> connection, then use your file transfer client as you're used to. Just
34 >> >> one simple extra step.
35 >> >
36 >> > I'm finding it a horrible nightmare, see above. It is the most
37 >> > difficult thing you could come up with. I haven't found any good
38 >> > documentation that explains it, the different types of it, how it works,
39 >> > what to use (apparently there are many different ways or something, some
40 >> > of which require a static IP on both ends, and they even give you
41 >> > different disadvantages in performance ...), how to protect the
42 >> > participants and all the complicated stuff involved. So far, I've
43 >> > managed to stay away from it, and I wouldn't know where to start. Of
44 >> > course, there is some documentation, but it is all confusing and no
45 >> > good.
46 >>
47 >> Feel free to start a thread on it. As above, I recommend
48 >> one-key-per-client and running your own CA.
49 >
50 > For secure connections you will have to set up CA and TLS keys with any
51 > option. Even ftps - unless the ftp server is already configured with its TLS
52 > certificates.
55 No, certain OpenVPN modes allow encryption without a CA, but they are
56 limited (e.g. single user, single password, etc).