From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PHP 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 14:47:56
1 On 02/01/2014 15:36, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2014-01-02 8:15 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 02/01/2014 14:46, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>>
6 >>> I have a VM running in the cloud that has an old web/php app (10+ years
7 >>> old, believe it or not), that still runs fine on apache 2.2.25, but I
8 >>> pinned php to 5.3 some time ago.
9 >>>
10 >>> Does anyone see any big potential gotchas (major changes) with php 5.4,
11 >>> or even 5.5, if I were to upgrade it?
12 >
13 >> Impossible to say without seeing your php code. Potentially there are
14 >> many changes.
15 >>
16 >> You'd be better off doing the heavy lifting yourself first:
17 >>
18 >> 1. read all the changelogs
19 >> 2. run it in a staging vm with php5.5 and see what happens
20 >
21 > Actually, I was just thinking of doing #2 on the dev server (no dev
22 > going on, but I had this set up some time ago when we moved the
23 > production server to linode, so now at least I can test things without
24 > breaking the production system), and if it breaks, just downgrade back
25 > to 5.3...
26 >
27 > That assumes, of course...
28 >
29 > Is php difficult to downgrade after an upgrade?
30
31 I don't see why not, all three are in the tree and supported (and it's
32 not glibc)
33
34 It might take a few goes through the emerge && depclean cycle to get it
35 back to a working state but it should all sort out eventually. And you
36 can always quickpkg things that get upgraded before doing the emerge.
37
38 Even better, use a VM and snapshot it.
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com