From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deprecated installed packages
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 04:37:26
1 On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:20:54AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > > Ah... I see, I was trying to figure out what they meant by deprecated
3 > > and how they determined it. It seems that the only thing common to
4 > > those packages is that their ebuilds are no-longer in the tree.
5
6 > Each one of those packages you list has more up to date versions available in
7 > the tree.
8
9 Precisely. But the exact version that is installed is no longer in
10 the tree. Seeing that I don't recall the portage system introducing a
11 deprecated flag (short of the removal notice and package.mask), I was
12 curious how eclean determined that those packages are deprecated.
13
14 And also seeing that for many of the ones I listed, neither
15 emerge --update --deep world
16 nor
17 emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world
18 suggest their updates, in my case they are probably just cruft that
19 ought to go away once the system is brought up to date and I can run
20 depclean.
21
22 But am I wrong in my impression that with bdeps, the common thing to
23 do is to update them only when absolutely necessary? So in this case
24 the deprecation warning might introduce unnecessary cycles spent on
25 building those packages (among those who don't want to track down the
26 origins of those packages and just want the block of text to go away).
27
28 Cheers,
29
30 W
31 --
32 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
33 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
34 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton