From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving /usr
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:49:02
1 On 3/10/06, Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht:
3 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=121164
4 > >
5 > > I'll proceed in this manner unless I hear back that there is some
6 > > problem with doing it this way.
7 >
8 > There are several hints in that topic.
9 > I did move my /usr to a new partition, so I'ld say:
10 > 1. create and format your new partition;
11 > 2. mount your new partition in /mnt/whatever;
12 > 3. copy the content of your /usr into this partition by:
13 > cp -a /usr/* /mnt/whatever (the "-a" option is important; look at man
14 > cp);
15 > 4. reboot frome a livecd;
16 > 5. mount your root filesystem and edit /etc/fstab:
17 > /dev/hdXY /usr etc.
18 > 6. reboot from the hard disk to be sure that your new partition is well
19 > mounted and works; run "mount" to check that /usr is on your new
20 > partition; test this in other ways to be really sure ;-)
21 > 7. reboot again from a live cd;
22 > 8. mount your root filesystem in /mnt/something;
23 > 9. delete the old /usr directory to free the unused space:
24 > cd /mnt/something/usr
25 > rm -rf *
26 > NB: do not delete /usr itself, just its contents, as /usr is the mount
27 > point for the new partition;
28 > 10. cross your fingers and reboot from the hard disk ;-)
29 >
30 > HTH
31 > Sergio
32
33 Well...I did my best, but it wasn't good enough. The machine no longer
34 boots to any level that a user could use. I'm told there are lots of
35 messages on the screen about being unable to find files. (/usr/bin,
36 /usr/sbin sort of things...)
37
38 To bad for me...I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
39
40 I'm hoping they can find their Gentoo install disk, boot the machine
41 and get it on the network with sshd running. That will give me a
42 fighting chance of getting the darn thing fixed.
43
44 Thanks to all for the help. I'm sure it was something stupid on my
45 part and not anyone's instructions.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Mark