From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Port Tracer Program Needed
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:20:31
1 Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes <at> mcaschool.net> writes:
4 > Hi Folks:
5 >
6 > I am getting ready to start a project here in the building to map the
7 > physical infrastructure of our network (its been assembled kinda willy
8 > nilly over the last 8 years or so). I am looking for a program to run
9 > on my laptop that I can plug into a wall plate and it will cause the
10 > port activity lights on the switch to blink distinctly so that I can
11 > begin tracing plugs to ports. Due to budgetary constraints, open source
12 > / freeware is very very preferable.
13
14 check out jffnms, it's in portage now and works with a very large
15 array of routers, switches, snmp, and other devices/portocols.
16
17 There is also an excellent installation/configuration page:
18 http://dev.gentoo.org/~angusyoung/docs/jffnms/docs/jffnms.html
19
20 The docs are new, and there is a jffnms.org support group. I have
21 yet to see, Javier fail to provide a monitoring solution for
22 any sort of device you may have. As one that builds/noodles
23 with all sorts of ethernet attached hardware, jffnms rules.
26 hth,
27
28 James
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list