From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MS-Teams on XFCE4/Gentoo
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 07:56:44
1 On 18/6/20 3:33 pm, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, June 18, 2020 9:09:08 AM CEST William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> On 18/6/20 2:23 pm, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On Thursday, June 18, 2020 7:58:00 AM CEST William Kenworthy wrote:
5 >>>> Hi all,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I ve just installed MS-Teams from portage and do not have webcam
8 >>>>
9 >>>> video (it sees the USB code, but gives a black screen). I also tried
10 >>>> the linux download from MS and it behaves the same. The camera works
11 >>>> fine in teams on chromium, Firefox, zoom etc. under the same user.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Has anyone any suggestions ?
14 >>>>
15 >>>> BillK
16 >>> Hi Bill,
17 >>>
18 >>> I have been using MS Teams on Linux for over a couple of months now and
19 >>> the
20 >>> camera does work for me.
21 >>>
22 >>> The settings I have are:
23 >>> - User added to the groups "audio", "video" and "usb"
24 >>>
25 >>> In Teams, I did have to configure the devices, the settings can be found
26 >>> by
27 >>> clicking on your "avatar", top-right of the window with your initials.
28 >>> (Mine says JR)
29 >>> Then select "Settings" and go to "Devices"
30 >>> I seem to remember it didn't auto-select my camera, but the preview
31 >>> should,
32 >>> when selected, actually work.
33 >>>
34 >>> Here you can also select a headset as audio-device.
35 >>>
36 >>> Also, make sure there is nothing else using the camera at the same time.
37 >>>
38 >>> Do take note, the Linux version is lacking several features that the other
39 >>> "native" clients have. Notably:
40 >>> - Only 4 camera-views at the same time (instead of 9, I believe)
41 >>> - No background-blur or image
42 >>>
43 >>> This means, you only get to show your real background or leave the camera
44 >>> off/ covered.
45 >>>
46 >>> --
47 >>> Joost
48 >>>
49 >> Thanks Joost, looks like I am out of luck - just a black screen in preview
50 >> (I am presuming that means it wont work in a real conference). It finds
51 >> the camera automaticly (no error messages) and is acting like its
52 >> actually working ... but just a black screen.
53 >> oh well, it will be Chromium again tomorrow :(
54 > Strange, are you sure the camera is not covered?
55 > Also, it does take a little bit for the camera picture to actually show on my
56 > laptop. Maybe wait a little?
57 > And did you close all other applications that might be using the camera? (Like
58 > the browsers and such?)
59 >
60 > --
61 > Joost
65 > Yep, all the above - I have a /dev/video0 (of course, as most other video software is woking fine). I'll have a look at what Neil has suggested.
66
67 BillK