From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - SSL certificate authorities
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:11:37
1 On Tuesday 15 November 2005 20:43, Antoine wrote:
2 > We are going to set up ssl on a webserver at work and I guess that means
3 > we need a certificate... does anyone have any useful alternatives to
4 > Verisign? Are they really worth the name?
5 > We are not going to be doing any monetary transactions but our clients
6 > are very security conscious (who isn't!) and I have no experience in
7 > these matters. I am certain the boss will want verisign, as he buys a
8 > lot of stuff just for the name but if I can offer him a comparable
9 > alternative at a fraction of the cost he may go for it.
10
11 If these clients *know* you, and *trust* you, and know anything about
12 security, there is no reason why you couldn't get away with a self-signed
13 cert.
14 If not, http://www.instantssl.com/
15
16 Yes, I work for them.
17 No, I won't make any comment comparing us to anyone else.
18 No, I can't get you, or anyone else, a discount.
19 No, I can't give you any support, tell you anything about the internal
20 workings, or disclose any detail on security procedures.
23 Mike Williams
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list