From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Encrypted backups under Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:02:45
1 >> - If your local backup becomes corrupt, then so does your remote
2 >> backup, except if you are quick enough to disable the rsync step.
3 >
4 > That's why I use rdiff-backup.
5
6 Yes, me too, but *inside* the encrypted container.
7
8 >> - If you have disconnection during the rsync step (happened to me last
9 >> night), your remote backup is temporarily corrupted.
10 >
11 > Shouldn't rsync do this on its own? There is an option --inplace
12 > described with:
13 >
14 > "This causes rsync not to create a new copy of the file and then move it
15 > into place. Instead rsync will overwrite the existing file,
16 > meaning that the rsync algorithm can't accomplish the full amount of
17 > network reduction it might be able to otherwise (since it does not yet
18 > try to sort data matches). One exception to this is if you combine the
19 > option with --backup, since rsync is smart enough to use the backup
20 > file as the basis file for the transfer.
21 > This option is useful for transfer of large files with block-based
22 > changes or appended data, and also on systems that are disk bound, not
23 > network bound.
24 >
25 > The option implies --partial (since an interrupted transfer does not
26 > delete the file), but conflicts with --partial-dir and --delay-updates.
27 > Prior to rsync 2.6.4 --inplace was also incompatible with --compare-dest
28 > and --link-dest.
29 >
30 > WARNING: The file's data will be in an inconsistent state during the
31 > transfer (and possibly afterward if the transfer gets interrupted), so
33 > you should not use this option to update files that are in use. Also
34 > note that rsync will be unable to update a file in-place that is not
35 > writable by the receiving user."
36
37 Yes, I use --inplace, but it will still leave the remote backup
38 inconsistent in case of an interrupted transfer. And not using it is not
39 an option for a 25GB file (and paying for capacity on the receiving end).
40
41 -- Remy