From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 21:18:57
1 100809 Robert Bridge wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> There have been discussions on this list why sudo is a bad idea
4 >> and sudo on *any* command is an even worse idea.
5 >> You might as well be running everything as root, right?
6 > sudo normally logs the command executed and the account which executes it,
7 > so while not relevant for single user systems,
8 > it STILL has benefits over running as root.
9
10 I follow 2 simple rules:
11 (1) never start X as root -- I open in a raw terminal, then 'startx',
12 so it's ok to login there as root to get some system fixes done,
13 but of course logout again before starting X as user --
14 & (2) do all system stuff in a virtual root terminal on its own desktop,
15 where the prompt says 'root' in red letters & the background is black
16 (my user terminal has a white background): that's down in the basement,
17 where all the pipes & wires are & you need a hard hat & safety boots
18 & you need to unlock the basement door, whose key is the root password.
19
20 also, my user terminal says :
21
22 524: gx> which sudo
23 which: no sudo in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin::/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/kde/3.5/bin)
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca