From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with nvidia card -- could it be hardware?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:11:41
1 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 04:58:24 -0400
4 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hi. I am using the nvidia GeForce GT 430 for years and suddenly
7 > > within the last few days, if I start gdm, it gives me an error, no
8 > > screens found and dumpss core and if I let it go it will keep dumping
9 > > core and filling up my root partition. It works with my frame
10 > > buffer, but no longer with gdm or even startx. So is this some kind
11 > > of strange hardware glitch? I did downgrade the nvidia driver, but
12 > > no joy.
13 > >
14 > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
17 > See
18 >
19 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
20 >
21 > on how to obtain a backtrace from it; this backtrace provides you more
22 > information about what went wrong, such that it can be further debugged.
23 >
24 > It boils down to recompiling the package and its library dependencies
25 > with debug flags, after which you can run a new core file through gdb.
26
27 Well, I did a backtrace with what I had (I always have debug flags on)
28 and it seems that the error no screens found causes an intentional core
29 dump -- it was signal 6. I will check the link and see if I should do
30 anything further.
31
32 Thanks very much for your quick response.
37 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
38 How do
39 you spend it?
40
41 John Covici