From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage confusion
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 14:51:35
1 On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 22:10:39 -0800 (PST), maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 > Notice in the following portage has nothing to say
4 > about "blockers" following a warning from
5 > revdep-rebuild. And the -u switch calls forth an
6 > earlier version of python but without the -u switch is
7 > content to re-emerge the newer package which I already
8 > have on my system.
9 >
10 > This was all precipitated after emerge xcircuit I was
11 > advised to upgrade tk and tclx and then
12 > revdep-rebuild.
13 >
14 > emerge -u tk just said zero packages to emerge. Not
15 > "no ebuilds to satisfy 'tk'", zero packages.
16
17 That's because you already have the latest available version of tk
18 installed, so there is nothing for emerge -u to do.
19
20 > All prepared. Starting rebuild...
21 > emerge --oneshot =dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6
22 > =dev-lang/python-2.3.5-r3
23 > ..........
24 > Calculating dependencies... done!
25 >
26 > !!! Error: the <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 package
27 > conflicts with another package;
28 > !!! the two packages cannot be installed on the
29 > same system together.
30 > !!! Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine
31 > blockers.
32
33 You need to do what it says, run the emerge command from revdep-rebuild
34 with the --pretend option.
35
36 > localhost heathen # emerge -puv python
37
38 This is not the same. Python is slotted and it appears that your system
39 has, or at least needs, 2.3 and 2.4 so run the command it tells you to to
40 see what blocks what.
44 Neil Bothwick
45
46 Beware of low-flying butterflies.