From: agl@×××××××.au
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT]Throttling/Restricting download speeds
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:54:29
1 Hi all,
2 Here in Australia the internet access plan I have is capped at 12GB
3 downloads/month during "peak" hours and then an additional 24GB/month during
4 "offpeak" hours, ie 2am - 9am. Rather than sit up until 2am to kick off a
5 download, I was wondering if it was possible to somehow throttle a connection,
6 or even a port, so that I could kick off the down load at say 11pm with the
7 connection throttled to only a few KB/s and then at say 2am, a cron job will
8 unthrottle it back to its full speed hence making most use of the offpeak time.
9 I'm currently using gshield on top of iptables as my firewall.
10
11 Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
12 Andrew
13 --