From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question regarding building Gentoo and UEFI vs Non UEFI
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 05:26:25
1 On 20/11/18 13:12, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 10:51 PM Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au
3 > <mailto:agl@×××××××.au>> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Dear all,
6 <snip>
7 ...
8 ...
9 <snip>
10 >
11 > I've done this exact same scenario two or three times by now. However, I
12 > don't recompile anything, I just rsync the old drive into the new one,
13 > and then I chroot (or, more often, I systemd-nspawn) into it and update
14 > the old configuration where necesary. Unless you change from Intel to
15 > AMD it should be fine (and even then it could be fine, depending on your
16 > CFLAGS).
17 >
18 > Also, have a live USB around to boot into it for emergencies.
19 >
20 > Regards.
21 > --
22 > Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés
23 > Profesor de Carrera Asociado C
24 > Departamento de Matemáticas
25 > Facultad de Ciencias
26 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
27
28 Canek,
29 Thanks for the reply. I've fiddled & "optimised" the old install enough
30 that I want a fresh start so will be compiling. I'm going older AMD to
31 newer AMD and always have a stick with SysRescue on it within easy reach.
32
33 Hopefully all goes well,
34 Andrew