From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg won't start on intel iMac
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:22:55
1 2009/11/6 Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca>:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have an intel iMac Core 2 Duo with an ATI radeon HD 2400 XT video
5 > card.  I have not been able to get X working.
8 I'm also running on an apple machine (macbook), so I might be able to
9 help. My video card is intel, so my settings won't be exactly the
10 same.
11
12 The first point I suggest is to re-emerge all your x11-drivers/xf86
13 files. Sometimes after an xorg update these need to be re-installed
14 (although it sounds like you are running on a clean install.
15
16 Your make.conf settings look okay, but I wonder about
17 /etc/X11/xorg.conf and hal. Is hal installed and running (to run it
18 /etc/init.d/hald start or to add it to default rc-update add hal
19 default). hal should take care of the keyboard and mouse without any
20 extra configuration (special keys and trackpad scrolling extra
21 features aside. check out pommed for hotkey support in apple).
22
23 I recall that in xorg.conf the driver for my video card device was a
24 bit picky over what I told it. For me this was more an intel graphics
25 issue compared with xorg changes (it used to be under i810 and then it
26 was changed to intel, and so there is some mismatching sometimes in my
27 experience). Try a few options for this variable when you startx.
28
29 Try these things (and shoot along xorg.conf) and let me know how it
30 goes. I might not respond right away, but I'll keep an eye out.
31
32 Regards,
33 daid