From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Ubuntu isn't the devil
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:49:34
1 Mick ha scritto:
2 > b)Upgrades
3 >
4 > I ran apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade to upgrade to feisty and ended up
5 > having to reinstall, because the end product was unbootable. There were no
6 > warnings, no messages, no suggestions as to what config files might have
7 > needed editing (don't you just love etc-update).
8 >
9 > You might argue that all of the above are indicative of my lack of knowledge
10 > of binary distros, their dependency conflicts and in particular Ubuntu's
11 > inner works. You would be right, except that Ubuntu is meant to be
12 > idiot-proof. On the other hand my Gentoo experience has been comparatively
13 > much more painless and seriously less time consuming, despite needing to iron
14 > out some problems with the installation of postreSQL (a 15 minute exercise in
15 > total).
16
17 Upgrades on Ubuntu, I agree, just suck. Nearly everyone will advise you
18 to avoid dist-upgrades and just reinstall. I know of people that
19 upgraded painlessly, but they're more the exception than the norm.
20
21 That's one of the big reasons I don't want it on my desktop box and I'm
22 extremly happy with Gentoo, that requires no full upgrade but works on
23 incremental upgrades.
24
25 That is THE thing that *buntus should learn hard from gentoo, in fact.
26
27 m.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list