From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: problem with webcam
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:42:53
1 Linyin <linyin.cn <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I already do video for linux in the kernel. Install SDL & SPCAVIEW
5 > have no error. But when i use it, error said cant find driver.
8 Are you certain that the camera is working? If its and NTSC/PAL
9 coax output, just plug it into an old analog TV and verify the
10 signal output is good first. Even connecting the camera to working
11 windows software will do for output signal verification. Many
12 cameras are easy to damage, from bumps or drops.....
15 If it's a usb webcam, maybe you have a channel input to something
16 that works generically? The point is to make sure valid video
17 signal is emminating from the camera first.
18
19 Next I use some very simple program and syntax to make sure it's
20 working on the computer. Use something simple and generic. I currrently
21 use this syntax with mplayer:
22
23 mplayer -fps 15 tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/v4l/video1
26 There are a multitude of issues that can break any given camera/package
27 combo, and many are hard to track down. It can be use flag, newer versions
28 of software fail, kernel issue, command line options, ...
29 just to mention a few.
30
31 Manually parse through /dev/v4l/video* and find where your devices is
32 connected to the kernel.
35 good hunting,
36 hth,
37