From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] ffmpeg video+audio capture question
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:21:07
1 On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 07:57:51PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
2 >
3 > I did some further digging. It appears that the instructions I
4 > followed are for capture devices (USB microphones, etc). According to
5 > https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/ALSA if I want to record from a
6 > running application, I need to load the "snd_aloop" module and mention
7 > it in a local .asoundrc. According to the linux kernel config help...
8 >
9 > CONFIG_SND_ALOOP:
10 >
11 > | Say 'Y' or 'M' to include support for the PCM loopback device. |
12 > | This module returns played samples back to the user space using |
13 > | the standard ALSA PCM device |
14 >
15 > Oh well, there is a new kernel, so I'll build it with the module, and
16 > get back later to see how things work.
17
18 That failed differently. With the local .asoundrc present, I loaded
19 the snd_aloop module. It showed up as a capture device in alsamixer.
20 But I had no sound on the speakers when playing Youtube. Even worse, I
21 was unable to unload the snd_aloop module. When trying to do so, I got
22
23 FATAL ERROR: Module in use.
24
25 The normal way around that is to unload any other modules using it.
26 But I have everything, except snd_aloop, built into the kernel. So
27 there was nothing to unload to release snd_aloop. I ended up renaming
28 .asoundrc, and rebooting.
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
32 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications