From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Organising btrfs subvolumes
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 11:38:09
1 On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:25 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Also how big is each snapshot of / and why are these necessary on an hourly
4 > basiszfs ?
5
6 Btrfs is COW, so snapshots only consume space as files change. If you
7 have a read-only filesystem and snapshot it hourly the only space
8 consumed by a snapshot will be a few metadata records.
9
10 Snapshotting hourly would mostly be a convenience - in theory it
11 should get you time-machine-like functionality just like hourly
12 backups would, but with far less overhead and space use.
13
14 In practice I stopped doing this, as btrfs can misbehave when you
15 start getting a lot of snapshots accumulated (we're talking
16 thousands). It probably doesn't help that I have VM images
17 snapshotted (though these images have fairly low write volumes - the
18 most active one does most of its writing to an nfs volume so only OS
19 updates, logs, etc change the VM). When snapper would go to cleanup
20 snapshots I'd get panics. I ended up having to write a script that
21 deleted one snapshot every 30min over the course of days to clean up
22 from that. Now I only manually snapshot periodically and I haven't
23 had a problem with it.
24
25 I suspect that as with many things btrfs-related that it will be
26 worked out in time, though snapshots will always cause fragmentation
27 as long as the filesystem does partial diffs.
28
29 Rich