From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 12:42:25
1 On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 12:03:24 GMT Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Kruglov Sergey <kr_serge@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hello, All!
6 > > Now I have gentoo-sources-4.14.8-r1 installed.
7 > >
8 > > After "emerge --ask --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world"
9 > > command emerge installs old kernel in NS (after first update 4.12.12,
10 > > after second update 4.9.49-r1).
11 > > How can I fix it?
12 > > There is sys-kernel/gentoo-sources in my world set.
13 >
14 > There was a discussion about this on the gentoo-dev mailing list. See
15 > the link below for details:
16 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/1d2f3f98c2485fa53ed602bc82850
17 > 54c
18
19 Alan copied a message from the devs list a few days ago, explaining that
20 kernel 4.14 release has caused a lot of breakage and was keyworded for this
21 reason. Reverting to earlier releases is meant to address this.
22
23 That said, I've been running gentoo-sources-4.14.8-r1 here too, on 3 different
24 boxen and thought it was doing fine, thanks. Then I discovered KVM images
25 failed to boot with this error:
26
27 kernel: kvm [5499]: vcpu0, guest rIP: 0xffffffffbbe67be4 disabled perfctr
28 wrmsr: 0xc2 data 0xffff
29
30 :-/
33 Regards,