From: Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Rootkit?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 17:11:41
1 On Thu 06 Oct 2011 10:32:14 PM IST, Michael Mol wrote:
2 >
3 > On Oct 6, 2011 12:57 PM, "Nilesh Govindarajan" <contact@××××××××.com
4 > <mailto:contact@××××××××.com>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Thu 06 Oct 2011 09:06:06 PM IST, Alberto Luaces wrote:
7 > > > Nilesh Govindarajan writes:
8 > > >
9 > > >> One of the servers I manage has a strange problem.
10 > > >>
11 > > >> Every 24h, someone starts a process shows up as perl in the list, but
12 > > >> launching command is /usr/sbin/httpd.
13 > > >> It shows just one process, but when I run something like this:
14 > > >>
15 > > >> ps -C perl -o cmd,pid
16 > > >>
17 > > >> I get some 5-6 processes alternatively with cmd as /usr/sbin/httpd or
18 > > >> /usr/bin/perl.
19 > > >>
20 > > >> The even more interesting thing is, /usr/sbin/httpd does not exist.
21 > > >> I suspect a rootkit, but chkrootkit & rkhunter reported nothing.
22 > > >>
23 > > >> Also, I found a mysterious file: /tmp/ips.txt with following content:
24 > > >> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
25 > > >> 127.0.0.1
26 > > >> addr:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
27 > > >> addr:
28 > > >> addr:127.0.0.1
29 > > >> addr:
30 > > >>
31 > > >> Somebody is aware of a malware/rootkit which creates such files?
32 > > >
33 > > > I had some of that recently. The attacker used a instance of
34 > phpmyadmin
35 > > > to inject into its URL a wget command to download a perl script from
36 > > > another site. Look for `wget' into apache logs.
37 > > >
38 > >
39 > > @all
40 > > Apache was never installed & I don't see any reason to install it
41 > > because nginx satisfies my needs. I grepped for the string wget in all
42 > > logs and php files, found some, but they were for libssh2 in wordpress
43 > > code.
44 > > @Michael,
45 > > I thought of doing that, but before I discovered the file, I'd already
46 > > killed the processes. Will check later when the process is relaunched
47 > > sometime later.
48 >
49 > You might crank up service log levels in anticipation, too, and prod
50 > your firewall to log unusual-but-allowed connections, too.
53 I just found something:
54 http://blog.vaultpress.com/2011/08/02/vulnerability-found-in-timthumb/
55 Data on just one of the wordpress installations seems to be deleted,
56 which seems to me as an effect of this. We're removing timthumb and
57 will watch. Thanks for the tip :-)
60 Nilesh Govindarajan
61 http://nileshgr.com