From: Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where's good old inetd ?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:16:58
1 On 6/21/06, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > well, I've already been using it for over 10 years, I never had
3 > serious problems with it, and has all I need.
4 > So why should I now switch to xinetd ?
5
6 The answer to this 'why' can be found here:
7 http://www.xinetd.org/faq.html#why
8
9 > Wouldn't it make more sense to let "inetd" be an virtual package
10 > which can be configured by some useflag to get either classic inetd
11 > or xinet in, maybe xinet as default ?
12
13 inetd is way too old. I tried googling for it, and I couldn't even
14 find source downloads for it.
15 It's like wanting to use in.telnetd and telnet instead of ssh because
16 the former has always served well.
17 However, if you can find the sources to it, you can always compile and
18 use it, can't you?
21 Bruno Lustosa <bruno@×××××××.net>
22 http://www.lustosa.net/
23 --